This week I focused on implementing the new UI elements, applying feedback from Flega café, polishing, bug fixes and some performance.
First of all I got rid of the pause button on the upper right corner of the screen, we got the feedback that it would be more convenient of you would just press anywhere on the screen that is not used (in the middle circle when on slider controls and anywhere but on the left side for gyro controls). Next thing to do was adding convenient ways to go back to the main menu from any other UI canvas. I added buttons for this and also added support for Android’s ‘back’ button to go back to the main menu. We were also told that the splash screens were a little to long so I altered that animation.
I rewrote the sound system to be reusable instead of only having a background system. When doing this I also implemented a mute button in the setting UI which can be used to toggle the game’s sound on and off. Also added methods to play one-shot sounds with optional delay, this will be used when scoring or achieving something. I also cleaned up code and optimized on the most obvious places so we get a slightly better frame rate.
To fit the current control UI mock-up the artists had made, I had to alter the way how controls are selected, I made a simple system to switch between gyro controls and slider controls. I also implemented the store UI, it is not very useful at the moment because we still have to add coins and a reward system, but it is there and it scales nicely.
And to finish this week, I fixed the device orientation lock. Now, the game will adapt its orientation to how the player is holding the phone. If this would be annoying during gameplay, you can of course simply disable screen rotation on your android phone.