I implemented an achievement system. Currently only achievements involving score and total score are implemented. It even gives a popup when a player unlocks a certain achievement. I did some small bug fixes. But decided to put some more time in my other courses. Simply and short blog post for me this week. 🙂
In a rage of excitement I managed to create a first iteration of an achievement display in our achievement menu. It currently looks like this.
Morphing was something we wanted to see in our game. I’ve created a system that morphs from shape to shape. Currently the UV’s aren’t handled correctly yet. I’m working on this.
We wanted skins in our game but our shader didn’t support any textures. So I’ve rewritten it and now we can give it a black and white shader where you can choose what color black is and what color the white will be. Also still in development and very early stage.
Welcome back again to a weekly update. We are tweaking and fixing our game for an upcoming FLEGA café at DAE howest. You’ll be able to play our game and give us feedback! You can find more information at the event page
Enough advertisement, on to weekly dev updates. I’ve created a new kind of pattern in the way our shapes spawn. Every x amount of shapes ( configurable) there will be a burst of 3 walls coming towards you. This is also indicated by a different kind of particle stream coming towards the player. These are the same type eg triangle and will never rotate. The goal is that the player has to just focus on rotating his phone quickly to match the pattern. Ofcourse the speed is a bit faster than the normal walls. I’ve also tweaked some of the difficulties and player feedback mechanics. It’s hard to get it right since I’m getting so used to the game that it might be way to hard for other people to play it. I wanted to implement the morphing animation of the shape but currently I’m stuck on that since I first need to right shapes with the correct scale.
For mobile testing I’ve created a build and ran it on my old Acer Liquid E2 flashed with a custom cyanogen mod. The menus have a framerate of around 60 while the actual ingame only has 30 and feels very slow.
Thanks for reading everyone! Enjoy this gif of this weeks build.
Can’t see the video? Try using a different browser
A challenge was to get our difficulty progression to be somewhat okay. Since if the shapes would spawn too fast after each other it would be impossible to predict the next shape. This gives the player a feeling of impotence. So I created a system that clamps this to a certain value so that the objects stay far enough from each other. The speed slowly increases towards a maximum either. Don’t worry, it’s very challenging when you get to higher numbers. I’ve implemented the rotation of shapes coming towards you. There also now is some sort of combo system. You’ll get points each time you fail to complete an obstacle in a perfect angle. If you get a perfect angle the multiplier gets increased by one and this will be applied on the score you receive. I also added some small screenshake and fov change when going through an object.
Was a slow week. Did some general bug fixes like making sure the meshes show up and go to the right positions. Played with some image effects and tweaked our difficulty manager.
Started to change it to fit our game style more so that there is a maximum speed objects will come towards you. During the meeting we also discussed that rotating shapes will be a thing.
Overtime we started noticing some new bugs with the way we checked if the player has a perfect fit. This caused a very big disconnection with the player. I spent this week researching this issue and fixing it. I also started commenting multiple methods and classes so we both know what method does what. I also a way to add an action to perform every update frame for the shape. So you can now make a shape rotate while coming to you, etc.
This week we’ve had our game been played by a group of people. This really gave us some insights about what features and mechanics were frustrating the players. First off we discovered that our special shapes felt more like we just had some ideas and tried to use all of them. We now took a step back and removed the special shapes to focus more on the simplicity of the game. The main thing that stood out was that we didn’t really have any system in place yet to make the game progress. It wasn’t getting harder after a while. This week I implemented a basic manager that changes the firespeed , acceleration, rotation speed and wait time of the obstacles. There won’t be a gif this week since it’s not really easy to show. I also started fixing some bugs. Since new shapes were added I discovered a small bug where we turned on the mesh collider. We don’t need a mesh collider so I went ahead and fixed that. I also refactored some variables into a class, TuningVariables, so it’s easier to pass and update those variables. The variables are things like Firespeed, acceleration, etc… Basically all the variables needed to keep our level progressing. I then pass this to my LevelDifficulty manager and update these variables. I have a struct TweakingVariables that contains information about how fast the TuningVariables should change over time. Currently this is all linear and boring. I’m still searching for a way to make this differ. I’m thinking about exponential and logarithmic functions for this.
Monday we had a weekly meeting to discuss certain aspects. Lots of feedback was giving to each other and we brainstormed choosing a new name, deciding on art style, etc…